Start Forums STEP 1: MAKE A PLAN AND RESEARCH YOUR NICHE Step 1 – How to Consider Individual Niches

• Author

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

The niches seem endless! When growing one online business, how feasible is it to consider growing a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th simultaneously?

Does the fact that a particular niche interests me and has important meaning to me mean that I am expert enough to build a business based on that niche?
    It sounds like interest and meaning might equal passion.

Rob

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Hi Rob,

1. While it can be a great idea to have 3 or 4 streams of independent income, experience has taught me that you are better off building one complete online business first and getting it to the point of generating significant income. What you learn during that process massively speeds up how quickly you can start and build the next ones. Doing them simultaneously just ends up being too many balls to juggle and too many common mistakes to go back and tweak multiple times.

2. No. For example, I’m really interested in Digital Photography and would love to spend more time with it, but I’m nowhere near being an ‘expert.’ That said, there are ways to build a business around a passion and be immersed in it – even when you aren’t an ‘expert.’ I talk about that more here: http://www.resilientpersonalfreedom.me/e-mail/passion-goes-a-long-way/

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Hi Pete,

In the venn diagram the peach circle around the three circles is where I jot down all the things that I enjoy doing in life, right? How would I incorporate my interests into the red,green, and blue bubbles? Also, I think this is a brilliant diagram, but if I follow it without the help of let say calling you. Do you think this is a good guide to follow?

Thank you,
    Ruben

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Ruben, there's no need to confine your thoughts to the space in the circles. Make notes on a clean sheet of paper and let your creativity flow into as many elements of your experience and desires as you can.

You and me speaking privately is probably the best method, but it's not the only one. Feel free to make your thoughts known here in the Forum and I'll help you as much as I can. And perhaps other members will have some inputs as well.

The most important thing is to exercise your brain in the direction of making a clear plan of action and then following that plan methodically and relentlessly.

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Pete, thanks again to you and Connie for giving us a community to build our online businesses from the ground up.

In any case, it took me long enough to finally do this, but now that I have my north star (or at least I know where to look for it in the sky)…

1) How do I go about finding those successful and lucrative blogs/sites within my sub-niche?

2) How do I calculate the amount of money each of these sites generates from its various banner ads, affiliate links, etc.?

3) What criteria should I use to ascertain which sites are “lucrative” (or lucrative enough)? (Or is this purely based on my own personal financial needs, situation, etc?)

and one more…

4) How specialized should I laser-focus my own sub-niche?

FYI, what I've done so far is think of a dozen or so of my personal favorite sites over the last 15+ years or so, be it blogs, forums, youtube channels, facebook pages, or what have you. I then created a spreadsheet that lists those sites and evaluated them according to my A) likes, B) dislikes, C) areas for improvement, & D) how the site makes money.

In creating this spreadsheet and doing the exercise, I've found common threads among the sites and have written a series of summary statements listing those commonalities.

Mind you, when I tried googling “top 50 ‘north star' sub-niche sites” under my particular sub-niche, I managed to find a couple seemingly reasonable sites that culled together their list. However, by and large, their list wasn't really all that impressive to me. In fairness, they did list a handful of my own personal favorites, but most of them were, quite bluntly, garbage. That's why I ended up going with my own gut.

Anyway, I'm going to resume reading Connie's e-book on starting a fitness business to see if I can glean any tips to apply to my particular sub-niche.

Any other guidance and pearls of wisdom, as always, are appreciated. Thanks.

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Hi Richard. A good place to start answering all four of your questions is a free tool at MOZ that shows you important information about the sites you want to emulate.

Download the free MozBar Chrome extension. https://moz.com/help/guides/research-tools/mozbar

Use the Link Explorer to investigate the sites that you can see are obviously selling something and making money. Look for a DA (Domain Authority) of 30 or over. Then look at who links to those sites and how those sites make money in the same niche. This will point you to the ‘best in class' inside your chosen niche.

Before you go any further make sure you can clearly see what they do to monetize AND that you would want to do it the same way. When you're clear on those things it will be time to drill down further and look at keywords. Let us know when you're ready for that.

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Hi Pete:

Thank you again for the great call on Saturday September 15, 2018. I really appreciate it and your efforts to get in touch with me. This was money well spent. I would highly encourage anyone to do a personal consultation with you.

Your call helped to solidify my niche (and sub-niche) and the website I have already started.

I have been focusing on “tightening up” my website message this past week. Please take a quick look at my site – https://www.ahappierman.com/

My heading, home, blog, newsletter, about and contact pages all start with my 3 Step System Message. I also created a PDF giveaway report in exchange for emails. Your comments during our phone call about coming up with a message really hit home and I spent hours after our call thinking and writing to come up with it. The system was in me, and in my articles, but not explained very well on my website. Your call helped to bring it out.

I think my next step is to contact “influencer's in my niche” to do some guest blogging. I have a list made up and will be contacting them.

Thanks again.
    Hans
    https://www.ahappierman.com/

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

It was an excellent call. Very productive. And thank you.

You improved your site quite a bit. Here are some other tips:

– you have 19 items in your menu. Try to reduce that by consolidating some of them, perhaps into a drop-down showing choices in a category such as “Life”

– If you want to monetize you have to have a very specific e-product. Give it a name. Try to use keywords from your sub-sub-niche in that product name. Get a photo or other image of the e-product.

– Tease the contents of the above e-product, don't spell out every element. Too much info runs the risk of a prospect thinking “Yeah, I already know about that,” without you getting the opportunity to explain your twist on the topic and your proven tools for overcoming these obstacles.

– Be sparing of the words ‘I' and ‘me' and try to switch the focus to ‘you' and ‘your.' People will pay you only if you show them you can solve a problem for them. And you have to make that point repeatedly. Don't forget to watch this Step 4 video: http://www.safelyleavetheratrace.dreamhosters.com/members/video/step-4-you-cant-make-money-unless-you-understand-this/

– When you get all the above nailed down, you're going to need to reach out to other sites that have a lot of traffic and are non-competitors in your sub-niche. To do that you'll need a few tight, focused articles that are 600-1,200 words on a specific theme. Be thinking about what those articles will be.

Let me know when you need some help with any of the above items. Try to knock them off one by one. It's an iterative process to get where you're going. Just keep making improvements and it all falls into place.

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Thank you for the tips Pete.

I did update my menu earlier today. I agree that the top of my site was too busy. I was always meaning to do that, so your push got me going.

I am working on an e-product now with the goal of getting it ready for sale as soon as possible. I had quite a bit of an e-product created already so I am fairly sure I can have it ready in a few weeks. But it is in need of editing and reworking to fit better. So that will be my focus in the near future. Plus, I will need a good picture. I'd like to run the name and picture by you once I am a little farther along.

I will try to use you and your more than I and me in my articles and content. Good point.

Thanks again.
    Hans
    http://www.ahappierman.com

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Yes, that new menu looks better.

You want your site looking its best before you reach out to influencers. They will visit and look around to make sure you fit with their audience.

You can visit Fiverr.com and see some of the graphic elements (header, e-book covers, subscribe buttons, etc) that can be made for you to dress up your site.

If you have the budget these guys will elevate your look to the highest level. They made our Rat Race logo.

Once you have a pro design of your logo/header the colors, look and feel of your site all flow from that design.

Your personal photo is a good one from a technical standpoint. But it occurs to me that your expression if fairly neutral, you aren't really smiling or looking obviously happy – which is your theme.

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Thanks again Pete for helping me with my action step from your last few comments:

1. Purchase some graphics help from FiveRR to upgrade the look of my website.
    2. Finish my e-product to have it available for sale. Get a good photo or cover for it from FivRR.
    3. Get a picture of me smiling for my website. I have been using that photo out of habit, but I do smile quite happily now.
    4. Develop reasons (web copy) for people to buy my e-product without telling them everything and having no reason to buy it.
    5. Reach out to influencers once I have the above in place.

Let me know if I missed anything.
    Hans

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

That's plenty to work on for now. It's best to break the process into smaller bites you can focus and work on. Then move on.

If you need anything along the way just let me know. Have fun!!

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Pete,
    Thank you for the time on the phone last Friday. It was of great help.
    I had another idea but time was up. I have the desire to live abroad a part of the year in Germany and (?) elsewhere, say England.
    I'd welcome a response from anyone on this thread in regards to forming a sub niche marketing to or targeting people in other countries, who would like to be on your email list and receive info from you in English and/or the language of that country.
    Has anyone done or tried this and how had it worked for you?

Also.. for Pete… I focused on a domain for the niche, not what I thought it should be.
    So.. after looking at Expert SRS, I now have – http://www.strengthover50.net and .org.
    The .com was unavailable. However it is just “parked” at Go Daddy and not being used as an actual site or blog.
    I'll probably buy the .biz and .info extensions. They are only a few dollars a year.

That's probably enough for now. I look forward to hearing back from those on this site.

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Hi Michael. It was an excellent call. Thanks.

1. I've sold e-products in 100+ countries and that's one of the giant benefits of operating online. All my stuff is in English but some people in every country speak English so it's a seamless transition to global sales. You don't even have to make a special plan for it. Focus on the US market, but be aware that from Day One you'll have international sales.

2. If you meant the above question from the standpoint of, for example, training people in gyms in foreign countries, that's different. That's a quagmire of immigration laws and work visa rules that will cripple you in terms of time and bureaucracy.

3. I really like that domain name. But only use it if you can get the .com extension. Dot com is still the gold standard. If you build a brand and good name without the .com domain some guy can come along later and poach off your name and traffic.

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

1. I've sold e-products in 100+ countries and that's one of the giant benefits of operating online. All my stuff is in English but some people in every country speak English so it's a seamless transition to global sales. You don't even have to make a special plan for it. Focus on the US market, but be aware that from Day One you'll have international sales.

2. If you meant the above question from the standpoint of, for example, training people in gyms in foreign countries, that's different. That's a quagmire of immigration laws and work visa rules that will cripple you in terms of time and bureaucracy.

3. I really like that domain name. But only use it if you can get the .com extension. Dot com is still the gold standard. If you build a brand and good name without the .com domain some guy can come along later and poach off your name and traffic.

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Pete,
    It seems, that the .com extension is held by someone at Go Daddy.
    For the low price of $70 I can make an offer to buy it OR….
    There is this available. –
    strength-over-50.com
    I can certainly buy that.

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

$70 seems likely worth it. I wouldn't go over $100 for a dormant domain, unless the keywords were very special.

You don't need to rush. Drill down into your sub-niche keywords and think about your own brand and what you'll be offering.

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Hi Pete:

It is Hans Hallanger at http://www.ahappierman.com again.

I have been busy working/editing/refining my first product to offer for sale on my website. It is an eBook. I was hoping you could review the title. I am planning on paying for a nice book cover once I finalize the title and finish editing. Here is the working title –
    “Leave Your Verbally Abusive Wife & Become A Happier Man With the 3 Step System”

Obviously the book is a guide to help men get out of a terrible marriage, like I was in.

I had reworked my website to focus on a 3 step system and done some cleanup of it after you took a look at it and gave me some comments.

So I have most of my website in the title along with the 3 steps. The 3 steps are woven into the book extensively.

Please let me know what you think of the title and if you have any suggestions. I am nearing my final editing and am looking forward to offering it for sale.

Sincerely,
    Hans Hallanger

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Hi Hans!

1. Your site looks better. Here's a tip regarding writing your copy. When you are trying to sell your ebook/service/membership you have to ride a razor's edge between:
    A) disclosing enough information to entice and convince a prospect to buy
    B) showing too much information and risking that a prospect thinks, “Yeah, I already know all of that, nothing new here for me.”

Of course, what the prospect doesn't know is the “secret sauce” of how your system helps him develop the mindset, habits, and other elements of actually doing all the right things.

Diet and weight loss are a perfect example. Most of us could score close to 100% on a written test of what we should and should not eat, and how often we should exercise. That's the “Yeah, I already know all of that” problem. People buy diet programs because the seller persuades them that – at last! – they are going to show them how to actually do what they know they need to do.

Your niche would be very similar. A guy knows he's in a bad situation, he knows the basic steps he needs to get out of it, but he just stays stuck. You need to persuade him that you have the methods and tactics that will do that. (To use your fitness example, it's not that he needs to do barbell curls for his biceps – it's that he needs to do them YOUR way, with YOUR proven system.)

So I'd say remove some of the details about what is in your ebook/service and add more mentions of how you have proven ways to break through the procrastination. And even then, don't give it all away in your ad copy. Share a couple of your best nuggets but make it clear your ebook/service is chocked full of more nuggets.

2. Your title section, “Leave Your Verbally Abusive Wife…” is very specific. Perhaps another term would speak to a broader audience than just the guys who feel verbally abused. Leave Your…Unsupportive? Negative? Bully? Hostile? That said, if your program specifically includes tips and tactics to cope with verbal abuse then you could have the right title already. But if it's more general and could help other guys in negative, unsupportive, hostile relationships then you might want to tweak the title.

3. The above points to an opportunity. Could you construct a free survey or quiz that a person could do? Answer 10 questions about your marriage and discover what category you fall into? Mild, Moderate, Severe? Verbal, Physical, Bully? Negative? Anything that can trigger engagement at your site is pure gold.

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Hi Pete, I am working my way through the quick start course, and have gotten up to day 5, using similarweb and I just wanted to touch base and make sure I'm on the right track before I go much further.

So the sub-sub-niche I am going for is time-efficient, orthopedically friendly strength training for men over 50. I'm 60 myself, and have been a personal trainer, physical therapist assistant, NFL strength coach, and personal training studio owner, so it's something I can “talk about in my sleep” for many years to come.

In researching other sites, there's one that seems to be killing it, which is mentioned in Connie's ebook, fit father project, it has a global rank of 200,309! Theres another one I'm seeing a lot called oldspartantraining.com, which is closer to what I envision myself doing, global rank 1,847,224.

Other than that, most of the page 1 results are articles from “big boy” sites like men's health, livestrong, motley fitness etc. I feel like I might be able to guest write some articles for sites like that (maybe not those 3) also. But in your day 5 email, it says the aim is to end up with 10 or more sites that score well and are doing something I'd like to be doing. I feel like there's a lot of interest out there in this topic, and I have a pretty good idea of what I'd like to be doing, but I'm not seeing 10 sites that a “little” guy is doing, so I wanted to get your thoughts at this point.

Pete Sisco
    Keymaster

Hi Dave.

– You mentioned “most of the page 1 results are articles from “big boy” sites…” That's often the case. But you'll still find sites listed in the Google SERP pages 2, 3,4,5 and beyond who are making very serious money.

– Sound like your sub-niche is strength training for men over 50. You mention time efficiency and orthopedically friendly, which I'm sure you can make a persuasive case for – but your niche is Health & Fitness. Your sub-niche is strength training. And your sub-sub-niche is men over 50. There's a lot of gold in that vein.

– Don't forget to search using terms like ‘baby boomer fitness' “senior fitness” ‘weightlifting for golfers” and any other popular sport of the 50+ demographic.

You'll find hundreds of sites. In short, you're very safe in the 50+ fitness sub-niche.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Menu